NCCC9: MWPS: Research and Extension Educational Materials
(Multistate Research Coordinating Committee and Information Exchange Group)
NCCC-09 members are developing a new product for publication in the coming year(s) by MWPS.
- Manure Processing and Utilization (MWPS 18-4 1st Edition), In development, R. Larson, E. Cortus, A. Schmidt, D. Andersen, T. Lim, K. Erb, S. Rahmen, Z. Liu, and J. Ni.
Additional publications from the 2018-19 reporting year include:
- Janni, K., & Cortus, E. Common livestock production systems and manure storage methods. Animal Manure: Production, Characteristics, Environmental Concerns and Management. Madison, WI: ASA-SSSA-CSSA.
- Wilson, M. L., Niraula, S., & Cortus, E. L. Characteristics of swine manure and wastewater. Animal Manure: Production, Characteristics, Environmental Concerns and Management. Madison, WI: ASA-SSSA-CSSA.
- Janni, K.A., Salfer, J.A., Cortus, E.L. and Knorr, J. (2018). Thermal environmental performance of a dairy barn cross-ventilated in warm weather and naturally ventilated in cool weather. In: 10th International Livestock Environment Sym Conf Proc, Paper No. ILES18-057 ASABE, St. Joseph, MI
- Janni, K. 2018. Remodel or retire? Hoard’s Dairyman. 25 May 2018. 163(10):337.
- Janni, K. and E. Cortus. 2018. Manure talk at upcoming expo. 14 July 2018. Dairy Star 20(10):28.
- Janni, K & E. Cortus. 2019. Are your sand lanes freezing? 26 January 2019. Dairy Star 20(23):28.
- Jaynes, D., B. Reinhart, C. Hay, T. Isenhart, S. Jacquemin, J. Kjaersgaard, K. Nelson, N. Utt. 2018. Questions and Answers about Saturated Buffers for the Midwest. Purdue Extension ABE-160.
- Cortus, E. L., B. Kasu, J. Jacquet, N. Embertson, A. M. Schmidt, T. T. Lim, and J. Heemstra. 2018. Relevant information sources in the vast and complex manure nutrient management network. Journal of Extension. 56(3):Feature 3FEA6
- Nogueira, R. G. S., Lim, T. T., Perna Junior, F., & Rodrigues, P. H. M. (In-press). Performance, microbial community analysis and fertilizer value of anaerobic co-digestion of cattle manure with waste kitchen oil. Transactions of ASABE.
- Brown, J. T., T.-T. Lim, J. M. Zulovich, and C. Costello. 2018. Evaluation of Mechanical Scraper System Finishing Barn for Solid-Liquid Separation. In ASABE Annual International Meeting. ASABE Paper No. 1801273. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASABE. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13031/aim.201801273.
- Duong, C. M., T.-T. Lim, and A. H. Wang. 2018. Evaluation of Biological-Based Additive for Pollution Abatement. In ASABE Annual International Meeting. ASABE Paper No. 1801615. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASABE. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13031/aim.201801615.
- Hosseini Taleghani, A., T.-T. Lim, and C.-H. Lin. 2018. Degradation of Veterinary Antibiotics in Swine Manure via Anaerobic Digestion. In ASABE Annual International Meeting. ASABE Paper No. 1801460. St. Joseph, Mich.: ASABE. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13031/aim.201801460.
- Wang, H. A., T. Lim, D. Brandt, S. Norkaew, R. Miles. 2017. Manure Land Application and Soil Health Indicators. Manure and Soil Health Working Group Data Brief. http://soilhealthnexus.org/files/2018/02/ncrwn-manure-land-application-and-soil-health-indicators-data-brief-FINAL.pdf 8 pages.
- Manure and Soil Health Blog. 2017. 15 articles summarizing science related to manure impact on soil health. http://soilhealthnexus.org/category/manure/.
Cortus, E. L., Hetchler, B., Spiehs, M., Rusche, W. "Seasonal and spatial variations in aerial ammonia concentrations in deep pit beef cattle barns", Waste to Worth 2019, Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Community, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. (April 25, 2019).
Felton, R., Cortus, E. L. "Quantitative analysis of words in popular press articles about livestock and environment", Waste to Worth 2019, Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Community, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. (April 24, 2019).
Cortus, E. L. "Lessons learned from environmental footprints of Midwest farms", 2018 Allen D. Leman Swine Conference, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. (September 18, 2018).
Cortus, E. L., Watkins, M. "Freezing point depression of sand-laden manure", North American Manure Expo, Brookings, South Dakota, United States. (August 15, 2018).
Janni, K.A., M. M. Torremorell, L.D. Jacobson, C. Alonso, B.P. Hetchler. 2018. Modeling airborne virus concentrations in filtered swine barns with negative-pressure ventilating systems. Trans of ASABE 61(3):1089-1099 doi.org/10.13031/trans.12561.
Sharpe, K.T., M.H. Reese, E.S. Buchanaan, J.E. Tallaksen, K.A. Janni, L.J. Johnston. 2018. Electrical and thermal energy consumption in Midwest commercial swine facilities. Applied Eng. Agriculture. 34(5): 857-864. (doi: 10.13031/aea.12771)
Janni, K.A. and Neu, A. Biosecurity: Understanding its importance when working on livestock farms. Feb 15, 2018. Midwest Rural Energy Council 56th Annual Rural Energy Conference, La Crosse, WI.
Janni, K.A. and M. Torremorell. Model to Assess Risk of Virus Introduction in Filtered Farms. Sep 9, 2018. Allen D. Leman Swine Conference, RiverCentre, St. Paul, MN.
Steinweg, E., Sands, G., Wilson, B. and Dalzell, B. (2019). Watershed Responses to Climate Change Conditions. Paper presented at the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers International Meeting, Boston, MA.
Utt, N., G. Sands, D. Jaynes, and D. Canelon. Aug-2018. A review of saturated buffer performance across the upper midwest. Presented at the 2018 ASABE Annual International Meeting, Detroit, MI.
Utt, N. 2019. The Science Behind Saturated Buffers for Nutrient Removal. N Champaign, IL.
Utt, N. 2018. Frequently Asked Questions about Saturated Buffer Design. MN Drainage Management Team Meeting, St Paul, MN.
Utt, N. 2018. Saturated Buffer Performance. 2018 Center for Excellence Field Day, Clayton, MI.
Teng-Teeh Lim, Allen Haipeng Wang, Donna Brandt, Saranya Norkaew, and Randy Miles. Can Manure Affect Soil Health? Part of Manure, Water, and Soil Health Webinar. 02/14/2018. North Central Region Water Network Webcast, for Soil Health Nexus.
Blog article: T.-T. Lim, Wang, A. H., D. Brandt, S. Norkaew, and R. Miles. 2018. Manure land application and soil health indicators. In Soil Health Nexus Web Resources, in collaboration with the North Central Region Water Network. https://soilhealthnexus.org/can-manure-improve-soil-health/
Special Video: “An Animal Feeding Operation. What should I know?” 2018. Featured on Youtube “CAFO Central” channel. This video introduces the topic of what people need to know about animal feeding operations and points the viewers to other short videos to answer specific questions. Collaboration with three other faculty, a total of 5 videos produced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asU7_JdLF8E
- Facilitating “Win-Win” Manure Utilization for Sustained Soil Health, Economic and Environmental Benefits. North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education – Professional Development Grant Program. 10/01/18 – 09/30/21. PI: M. Schmidt; Co-PI: R. Koelsch (University of Nebraska); Sub-awards: D. Andersen (Iowa State) and E. Cortus (University of Minnesota). $74,905
This project will support SARE’s sustainability goals of long term profitability (better utilization of manure’s nutrient value), stewardship of natural resources (improved water and soil quality), and quality of life for rural communities (limit risk of manure’s negative qualities, such as odor). An existing multi-state working group will deliver a professional development program for those advising crop farmers intended to: build awareness of manure’s value; demonstrate benefits locally via on-farm research; and teach crop farmers to confidently identify "win-win" opportunities for manure use on cropland.
- Environmental Footprints for Regional Swine Production Systems Now and in the Future – A Demonstration Pilot Project. National Pork Board. 06/01/18 – 05/31/19. PI: E. Cortus; Co-PI: R. Stowell and A.M. Schmidt. $55,126.
The specific objectives are to (1) engage 65 producers in Environmental Footprint calculations of current production practices; (2) measure the change in knowledge, interest and trust in environmental sustainability and related metrics following engagement with local educators; and (3) identify and evaluate strategies that have potential to help local producers reach sustainability metric goals using Life Cycle Analysis.
- Water and Nutrient Recycling: A decision tool and synergistic innovative technology. USDA-NIFA. 10/01/18 – 9/30/23. L. Greenlee, R. Stowell; A.M. Schmidt, T. Lim, J. Zulovich, etc. $4,342,280.
A collaborative effort between Nebraska, Missouri, Ohio, Arkansas, and Montana. Development of a decision tool allowing scientific assessment of individual farm manure management and energy needs, and subsequent recommendation for technologies to implement, is proposed. Collection of on-farm data, integration of data into the decision-making tool, economic analysis of the proposed technology, and outreach programming to influence utilization of the tool are primary roles of the UNL faculty on this project.
- MWPS is in the process of revising Wiring Handbook for Rural Facilities, with a projected release date of Spring 2019. Greg Stark, Texas A&M will update the NEC codes, and Scott Sanford, University of Wisconsin-Madison, will update the lighting portion through the addition of a new chapter. Illustrations and editing have been arranged.